Author(s): Nicola Flora
Sigurd Lewerentz (1885 - 1975) was one of the major Swedish architects of the twentieth century and was particularly known for his important religious works. This definitive monograph is the only comprehensive survey of his work, celebrating his sensitive and distinctive response to modernism in a detailed survey of both built and planned projects. These span his embrace and rejection of the classical language of architecture and his turn instead towards modernism and a more austere design vocabulary. The book includes his best-known chapels of St Knut and St Gertrud in the Malmo cemetry (begun in 1916), the conversion of the cathedral in Uppsala, on which he worked for nearly ten years (1947 - 55), and the church of St Peter at Klippan (1962 - 6). The first section of the volume includes essays on Lewerentz's work by the late Colin St John Wilson and the editors Nicola Flora, Paolo Giardiello and Gennaro Postiglione, plus a text on cemeteries by Lewerentz that is the only known piece of writing by the architect.
Nicola Flora (b.1961) teaches at the School of Architecture of the University of Camerino in Ascoli Piceno, Italy. Paolo Giardiello (b.1961) teaches at the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Naples Federico II, Italy. Gennaro Postiglione (b.1961) is associate professor of interior architecture at the Politechnico di Milano in Italy. He has a specific interest in Nordic architecture and was co-editor of Sverre Fehn: Works (2007). Sir Colin St John Wilson (1922 - 2007) is best known as architect of the British Library in London, an epic project that took 35 years to complete. He was also an influential teacher of architecture, serving as Professor of Architecture at Cambridge University from 1975 - 1989, and was a prolific collector of modern art. He was knighted in 1998.